A little background:
The first Eco-Meets were held by the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1976. Eco-Meets are still being held there and the concept has spread to Illinois, Georgia, Maryland and Kansas.
Kansas Eco-Meet History:
- The Kansas Eco-Meets began in 1991 at the Milford Nature Center near Junction City. The Milford Eco-Meet draws teams from schools in the adjacent ten-county area. It became so successful that other areas began having them.
- 1999 was the first year in Kansas where more than one area had an Eco-Meet. One was held at Wilson State Park near Russell and one was held at the Great Plains Nature Center in Wichita. This made it necessary to have a statewide contest to decide who had the best team!
- In 2000, the number of regional Eco-Meets more than doubled to seven. In addition to Wichita, Milford, and Wilson, new Eco-Meets were held at Lake Scott, Hays, Hutchinson and Kirwin National Wildlife Refuge. (This was the only year for the Lake Scott event.)
- In 2001, three new Eco-Meets were held at Pittsburg, Salina, and Pratt, bringing the total to nine.
- In 2002, there were eight regionals Eco-Meets.
- In 2003, nine regional Eco-Meets were held as we welcomed Hays back and a new regional at Garden City.
- In 2004, a new Eco-Meets was held in NW Kansas at the Smoky Valley Ranch.
Nine total regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2005, a new Eco-Meet was held in Kansas City at the F.L. Schlagle Library at Wyandotte County Lake. Eight total regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2006, seven regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2007, seven regional Eco-Meets were held and we welcomed back the event at Greenbush in Southeast Kansas.
- In 2008, eight regional Eco-Meets were held, including a new event in Olathe.
- In 2009, eight regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2010-2012, nine regional Eco-Meets were held, after adding a new event in Lawrence.
- In 2013, eight regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2014, ten regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2015, seven regional Eco-Meets were held.
- In 2016, ten regional Eco-Meets were held.